After three months of raising money for the American Cancer Society, a team of Holy Cross members participated in the Herndon Relay for Life on June 6 and 7. Team members took turns walking the track at Herndon Middle School, logging 89.75 miles during the 18 hour event!
As a result of individual donations to team members and the fund raising events supported by the congregation, we were able to contribute $3,755 for cancer research and support for cancer patients and caregivers. This cause is important to many of us as we remember family members, friends, and fellow HCLC members who have fought the disease.
It was the first time that Holy Cross was represented at the community event, and we all agreed that it is worth continuing. Thank you to everyone who donated money to our Relay team, either online or by participating in the Easter candy sales or Bake-Off. Thanks also to our friends who stopped by to visit us during the Relay – some even joining us on our walk!
Some of our memories will be:
- Collecting beads to keep track of our laps
- Fun music to keep us energized
- Signing our relay baton
- Seeing the tent decorations and fund raisers by other teams
- Lighting the luminaria in honor and memory of our loved ones
- Sharing the beautiful candlelight ceremony
- Getting to know each other better as we walked the track and took a break under the tent
The Relay for Life was so meaningful and fun that we hope more people will join us next year!