Over the past several months, many members of Holy Cross Lutheran Church have been spending countless hours and putting lots of love into making Mission Quilts in conjunction with Lutheran World Relief. This past Sunday, the congregation said a special prayer and laid hands on every quilt from HCLC that will be sent around the world to those in need. In 2014, Lutheran World Relief sent quilts to over 408,245 people in 20 different countries. (http://lwr.org/quilts). We are so thankful to all the HCLC members who joined in this amazing effort!!
“When you make and send a Quilt, you are not only comforting someone you have never met, but providing an object that is useful in ways you probably never imagined. The ultimate purpose of a Quilt is to provide warmth, an essential need for people in every climate, and LWR tries to ensure top standards in fabrics and filler accordingly.In addition to being a cozy, clean new bed cover, it can be:
- a baby carrier, tied around a mother’s back
- a market display, spread on the ground and piled with vegetables;
- a sack for transporting those goods to market;
- a sunshade;
- a shawl; and most importantly
- a constant reminder that someone, far away, cares a lot ”